I installed the NVIDIA Web Driver on my MacBook Pro (Mid 2014 w/ GT750M) due to sluggish High Sierra. At first, it seemed to improve the graphics performance a bit. However, when I tried to restart the MacBook later, it just stuck on Apple logo with progress bar not finishing moving.
In Safe Boot, I can’t access the NVIDIA Driver Manager. Right now my solution is to clear the Macbook’s NVRAM (nonvolatile random-access memory). Caution: it will also reset several other settings. The method is: press Option, Command, P, and R together, and then start the computer.
If you have better solutions, please leave your comments. Thanks.
N^2: N squared
N^3: N cubed
N*Log(N): N log N
1/2: one half
1/3: one third
Several times after I force-restart my Mac (recently in High Sierra), I found Safari lost all its saved passwords. It seems the Mac loses the keychain containing these passwords. The solution may be simple:
Go to System Preferences -> iCloud, if “Keychain” is unchecked, check it. Then all passwords should be accessible in Safari again.
This method is learned from https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/how-to-change-swap-size-on-ubuntu-14-04:
(change count=1024 for the size you need)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=1024
chmod 0600 /swapfile
(1) “THINK: IF I feel negative emotions when I face the task at hand, THEN I will stay put and not stop, put off a task, or run away.” ;
(2) “IF I say to myself things like “I’ll feel more like doing this later” or “I don’t feel like doing this now,” THEN I will just get started on some aspect of the task.”
I upgraded my TS140 with new motherboard (B250), CPU (i7-7700K), power supply, and cooler. Here are some notes:
1. Standard MicroATX MB can be installed perfectly.
2. To conveniently connect SATA cables, it’s better to choose a MB with upward (instead of sideward) SATA connectors.
3. To connect the power front panel on TS140, refer to:
(1) the pins for TS140: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/ThinkCentre-front-panel-connector-power-audio-and-USB-pinouts/td-p/190651
(2) the system panel connector (F_PANEL) on your new MB.
4. If using tower cooler, be careful of the total height. I use one with 125mm height.
(1) Generate a random BigInteger in range of [0, 2^(numBits)-1]
BigInteger(int numBits, Random rnd)
Use -Xmx to set the maximum heap size (which may use hard drive space as Java heap). e.g. set the max heap size to 10GB:
java -Xmx10g MainClass
It may be further optimized using garbage collectors such ConcurrentMarkSweep:
java -Xmx10g -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC MainClass